The Bistrita Research-Development and Experimentation-Production Station subordinated to the National Institute for Research and Development in Forestry (INCDS) “Marin Drăcea”, the successor of the Cluj Research-Experimentation Station – established in 1950, also includes the Bistrita Development Section – established in 1976 and the Experimental Base (BE) Lechința – established in 1973 which currently administers an area of 4226.86 ha, of which 2939.8 hectares are public property of the state. Also part of the SCDEP are the Târgu Mureș Experimental Base with an area of 178.62 ha and the Păstrăvăria Gilău established in 1987 with a water level of 1842 m2.
Within the S.C.D.E.P. Bistrita, the scientific research addresses priority objectives of the forestry sector, included in international, European, national and sectoral research programs, with the main objective being the restoration of destructured quiver trees in Transylvania.
The technological development activity, alongside scientific research, addresses priority objectives of the forestry sector, included in national and sectoral programs, with the role of dynamizing and increasing the benefits of the forest fund so that it is able to respond to the challenges of current climate change. The forestry sector benefits from great potential to further develop high-quality services and products, beneficial to society as a whole.
Experimentation-production activity has been initiated. after the Lechința Forest Ring was taken over by the Research and Development Institute in 1978, the main objective being the technological transfer of research results, over time various research projects were carried out in various fields such as: restoration of degraded stands, making forests accessible, protection forests. afforestation, etc.
The Tg. Mureș Experimental Base was established in 1982 with the aim of restoring the degraded stands of the Transylvanian Plateau, with an area of 172 ha. In the past period, various research themes have been placed that correspond to the destination of this forest body
Gilău Trout, built in the period 1985-1986, had as its main activity the research and, as a subsidiary, the growth of trout for consumption. With a surface area of only 1,842 square meters, it is composed of 73 pools, which has allowed salmon research to be carried out over time.